Friday, February 24, 2006



*...Scales, Crates and Veterinarians...*

My mom weighed me this morning and I am 17.5 lbs now. I dont really know if that is average for a Weimy like me or not. But my mom said I look healthy and eat well so I should grow up to be a big strong girlie.

I am at work again with her today. She said that she brought me to work with her today because I am going to the veterinarian tonight. I dont know what that is, but I sure hope its fun!
Mom said it would be a little stressful since it's my first time there without my littermates. I am a good girl though, so I think it will go well.

I am having a problem at home though. I dont like my crate when the door is closed. I cry a lot whenever I am in my crate, even for a few minutes. If the door is open its ok, I go to sleep or play with my toys but as soon as the door closes, I freak out. Yesterday mom had to run out and left me in the crate for about 30 minutes. When she came home, I was so stressed that I had foam saliva on my chin, chest and front feet. Even though mom will leave my toys, my blankie and a crunchie doggie biscuit in there for me... I just dont like it. Anyone have any suggestions to make me feel more comfortable in there?

*woofers*

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have Cooper, from Jeff and Heather's first litter and Cooper hasn't taken well to the crate either. He's 9 months now and can only be in the crate for 2 hours max at a time.

We have been told to feed him in the crate and we do but he's still not truly happy when he's in there. We also try crating him when we're home so he gets used to being in there. He's ok then but still sometimes gets freaked out.

4:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Spirit,
No matter what humans say, I hate visiting the vet, although I always behave nicely there.
Last time I visited the vet she said that I need to put some weight on, but I am still trying to find out what is the difference between food and toys, hehe! It is summer in Brazil and I do not get hungry.
Raisa
P.S.: May I add your site to my Blog Friends list?

7:30 PM  
Blogger Spirit said...

Raisa

Yes please add my site to your friends list. I will do the same. I like Huskies!

6:05 AM  
Blogger Spirit said...

Dear Christina and my older brother Cooper,

I guess it runs in the family ... neither of us is truly happy in the crate.

6:06 AM  
Blogger Sam I Am said...

Spirit~
Welcome to the world of weimies!!
You have to be Positive!!
We crate Sam our weimy only during the day when we are working. One of us goes home every day at lunch to give him a potty break.

There were some days where he'd just bark and bark - but those were many months ago. now he'll only bark if he really needs to go out (ie just before he soils his kennel!)

you need to ignore the barking COMPLETELY. Do not go back and talk to her; do not let her out; WAIT. wait until she is quiet to praise her and work up to being quiet for 5 whole minutes before you praise her and/or let her out.

I wholeheartedly second the downstays and ignoring as a means of punishment. It doesn't have to be for long. Weims NEED to be with their people. She'll get it.

Furthermore - I think you should start formal training right away. I don't buy that "wait a month or so" reasoning. Give her something to do.Also if you are going to be gone for 2 hours put tv on so she can hear it.Sam had to have something of ours in the crate with him.The best advice is just for you to hang in there, don't give in and things will get better! The first month with our pup was rough. It was just like having a new baby. No sleep, lots of getting up at all hours to take them outside to potty, and lots of crying (me and the dog!). We used a small crate that was sized to the pup in lbs. He hated it at first but the whole point of the crate is to house break them and give a safe place to be. But these pups grow so fast, we soon had him staying in the huge crate he has now. We just put the smaller crate inside the larger one to give him less room to mess up. Also we had to leave our pup crated for about 3.5 hours a day. We had lots of messes to clean up but that does get better too!. Just give your pup lots of love when you are at home. We didnt let ours on the couch at first but eventually caved and now he sleeps there all the time. Best decision I ever made! We even let him on the bed now for naps with us and he is huge

8:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home